Saturday, May 31, 2008

May 31, 2008
I’ve been in Maryland for about four days now, and things are going great! I managed to drive up here all the way from Spartanburg without getting lost! I really like the area and I have a great host family!
My host mom is really sweet and helpful! She’s super nice and a great cook. They have a fifteen year old daughter who is real vibrant and cool! She’s been a great help. A friend of hers and her took the other intern and me around DC yesterday. We went around to the White House, Lincoln Memorial, the WWII and Korean war memorials, and to H&M. It was a great time, tiring, but good to see a part of DC I hadn’t before. The family I’m with has been really welcoming and nice. They welcome me to hang out with them and to eat dinner with them. They have been asking me bunches of questions about living in the South, and they have shared with me their background and family stories. Last night they were telling embarrassing childhood stories about their kids. They have been real cool.
The Church has also been real welcoming. The youth minister seems to be real hip and excited to have the interns here. They set up an office for us to use and have let us know a bit of what we’re expected to do. We’ll be helping out with middle school and high school small groups. We’re also planning Monday night Fun nights, which should be a lot of fun! We’re also attending some of the church staff meetings to get a look at how those go. It’s all going to be real challenging and exciting! So far the other intern and I have really gotten along. Both of us went last night to hear their youth band play. They were pretty good. And it was a great time for us to get to know some of the other youth.
This summer is going to be really exciting! I’m looking forward to see what God has to teach me. I’m also excited about the opportunities that surround me, with the youth, the church, and the area I’m in. The other intern and I are beginning to make plans to see as much of the DC, Md, and possibly NY area as possible! We’re going to make a list of things we want to see. It’s terribly convenient that we have been given Fridays and Saturdays off! ;) It’s going to be a great summer!!

Some things that y’all can be praying for me are:
- for me to get out of my shyness (it usually takes me awhile to open up to new people)
- for me to be able to work to my fullest and most creative
- and for the hearts of myself, the other intern, the youth and families of the youth to be open and listening to what God will teach us during this time

Thanks, and God be with you!
-KtB

No comments: