Monday, June 9, 2008

June 7 2008
My posts are a little late because I have to type them up first at the home I’m staying at doesn’t have wireless internet. So I check my mail/facebook etc. first thing in the morning when I report to work, strictly for professional reasons.
Last Sunday was the first Sunday that I went to the church I’m working at. It was real neat. I was invited to go to the Senior Graduation breakfast, which was a bit awkward because I didn’t really know any of the kids, and some of the parents thought that I was a senior who didn’t have any family with them. So that was kind of embarrassing. But other than that I got to meet a few of the kids. After that they had a Youth Worship service instead of having them split to go to Sunday School they meet for a worship service with their youth band and a speaker. It was a real neat concept. It seems to be working really well. It’s definitely a concept that I would like to see work in some of the churches back home. I also went to the traditional service that they had. It was real neat. The preacher at the church is very untraditional, he doesn’t wear a robe, he didn’t even wear a tie when he preached. It took me by surprise, I just thought he was a layperson, but he was real cool, and definitely a talented speaker.

For my first week I’ve been making plans for the summer. One of the things that I have to work on is planning the Monday Night Fun nights that I mentioned earlier. The other intern and I have planned for a messy Monday, water Monday, we have an 80s party (to which we both realized that the seniors we have were all born in 1990…whoa), and some other events. I’m also working on flyers for these and the calendars. So it’s going to be pretty busy.
I’m enjoying Maryland, I got lost trying to find Panera, that was fun. The girl I’m staying with and I went to the mall yesterday, it was fun, but it made me miss the girls back home and our mall trips. L But a call from KtS and Bray really made me happy!
So next Sunday I’m going to give my testimony to the youth at their youth worship. That should be real exciting. I just pray that God speaks to them from my story.

1 comment:

Erica Tyson said...

Oh, plan-making... it's only half the excitement right? I'm glad you're doing so well up there! I still have a little song present for you; I'll figure out a way to get it to you.