I was at an Episcopal service a few weeks ago, and I went up for Eucharist and knealt at the altar next to a father holding his new born baby girl. The priest-in-charge (female priest,I dunno if that's a special term or not) didn't give the baby communion...well because...she's a baby, but instead she blessed the baby. And the words she said to the baby were so beautiful and I'm kicking myself because I don't know what she said. But she said something along the lines of "may you be the hope of the future" and I got so caught up in the thought of this infant being the hope of the future I teared up at the altar.
Amy and I once talked about the fear of bringing up kids in this day and age. And while I tend to agree that it sounds scary, part of me is overwhelmed with the thought that "hey! my kid could grow up and change the world."
I've been sort of down about some surrounding thoughts of students around me here in DC, who are fed up with America. "America sucks" "Economy sucks" "War sucks" There seems to be a since of negativity surrounding many of these people who are going to be preachers. They complain about politics, and do as much mudslinging as the candidates are, they complain about America. But nobody follows through with an idea or plan of fixing it.
I guess I must be optimistic, or ignorant of politics... (actually I know I am ignorant of politics) but I find hope in America in ministry to youth, or to any other adults. I feel like this is why we're here. Who knows? God could put a message on our heart for a sermon or bible study that could bring out something in someone to do something to make a change (I apologize Grace that was a horrible sentence).
I could have future lawyers, doctors, senators sitting in my youth group and God could use me to get them to stand up and do big things. This is one of the most fullfilling, hopeful things I can do with my life. This brings me hope for America.
Yea our 5 year olds are given blackberries when they graduate from college, and we get caught up in brangelina's life, but I feel like there are thousands, millions of people who we can reach and join together to make changes.
Britt and I debated over politics, and I'll be frank, I could care less about who's president. Which ever one is elected, 3 mos we'll be griping and complaining about them just as bad as we did with the others. and she told me I need to stand for something. Well this is my something. Working on kids to show them Christ and have them show Christ to others.
That's my political/theological/rambling rant...hope it makes sense.
1 comment:
Katie I hope you continue to stand for sharing Jesus more than anything else - including trendy pessimism.
Post a Comment