THE OFFICE PREMIERE WAS FANTASTIC! Sorry, I had to get that out of the way. It made my day, but also saddened me because I couldn't cram into the living room of the casa de phun Fun, to look at the faces of Grace or Katie S when Jim was being too cute and we would all melt, and we would all squirm at the awkward Michael moments...I MISS YOU GUYS!!
I've been wanting to update for awhile but haven't had the time, or had any exciting things to post about. I'm feeling better about school, I still miss SC and everyone, but I feel more at place here. I'm still trying to figure out where I fit, but all is going well.
I'm going home in a few days for a week!! It's our "reading week" in which we have no classes and should be working on stuff...we call it "fall break"
I've learned some insightful things and I was ready to post all about it, some cool soapboxes to stand on and information to blow your mind, then I got sick...and didn't post. So yea...
but I do have a small something. I remember Erica going on and on about how boats and the images of boats were always on her mind. And I was reading for my Covenant Discipleship class and found this passage about sailboats and how we can use this sort of imagery when discussing free will that God has given us. It's from the book Soul Feast; an invitation to the Christian Spritual Life by Marjorie J. Thompson.
“A metaphor from early Christian tradition may help us grasp more clearly the nature of this relationship [relationship between God’s grace, and human free will]. Observe a sailboat. It cannot move by its own power but must rely on the force of wind, over which neither sailboat nor sailor has control. Still a sailor can shift the position of the boat by adjusting tiller and sheets so that the sails catch the wind. Free will is like the sailor. Though it is sometimes a struggle, we can choose to hold the boat of our life steady into the wind of the spirit. Then our efforts are supported and directed by grace. One caution:Once we have opened our sails to that wind, we need to be prepared to go where the Spirit blows!
The sailboat metaphor will get leaky if we push it too far. In the end even our ability to hold our boat steady into the wind rests on God’s grace. All is grace, yet all depends on our willingness to work freely with grace. The magnificent truth of Christian faith is that the work of divine grace makes our efforts not less our own, but more.” (p9)
2 comments:
When the theme song started playing, I thought about how you used to be the bass and I used to be the piano when we sang along and then I was sad and turned to KtS and said, "I miss KtB" and I might have been depressed the whole night had Jim not finally popped the question.
well dont feel too bad ktb. We didnt cram into the casa cause its at the outlet now. I mean, still feel bad. Just not too much. :) it was REALLY weird being there without my best friends. Grace was like the only normal thing about the whole experience because we died when jim proposed. I love that show! mmmm. i miss you and cant wait till you get here!!
Post a Comment