For my first meeting at orientation we sang this hymn, and it's one I've probably heard in church hundreds of times, but as I sang it at this meeting, and today during our chapel worship I heard it and listened to the power of it's words. I wanted to share it with y'all.
The Summons by John Bell
Will you come and follow me if I but call your name?
Will you go where you don't know and never be the same?
Will you let my love be shown, will you let my name be known,
will you let my life be grown in you and you in me?
Will you leave yourself behind if I but call your name?
Will you care for cruel and kind and never be the same?
Will you risk the hostile stare, should your life attract or scare?
Will you let me answer prayer in you and you in me?
Will you let the blinded see if I but call your name?
Will you set the prisoners free and never be the same?
Will you kiss the leper clean, and do such as this unseen,
and admit to what I mean in you and you in me?
Will you love the "you" you hid if I but call your name?
Will you quell the fear inside and never be the same?
Will you use the faith you've found to reshape the world around,
through my sight and touch and sound in you and you in me?
Lord, your summons echoes true when you but call my name.
Let me turn and follow you and never be the same.
In your company I'll go, where your love and footsteps show.
Thus I'll move and live and grow in you and you in me.
I have quickly grown to love this song. If you've never heard it before, look it up on itunes, I don't suggest youtube because you get band stuff and world of warcraft...I dunno why.
This is a beautiful song about Christ calling us by name to follow Him. It explores challenges that those who follow his call, or summon, will face. "will you care for cruel and kind, risk the hostile stare." He guarantees our life will never be the same.
I love the line "Will you risk the hostile stare, should your life attract or scare?" and the last verse where we claim that we will accept the summons he gives us, it gives me chills and makes me tear up all of the time.
It's a beautiful song, and I'm not doing it any justice by "analyzing it" or by just posting it...go now to listen to it. I have sought a lot of refuge in this hymn, it has brought me a lot of comfort as I am working on answering my call.
I'm not going to lie, this experience is becoming overwhelming. I think it is good in a challenging way, I'm learning more about depending on God. and I know that I have come too far to give up on this dream I have. I'm starting to get real homesick for my family, my dog, my bed, just the south in general...(sorry I don't count Maryland...believe it or not, it is below the mason dixon line...but if you're not serving sweet tea in every restaurant you aren't a southern state...) but I can't give up on my dream.
I'm not going to lie to you, the idea of packing up and going home has crossed my mind a few times since I've been up here, and I've mentioned it to my parents. The leap from undergrad to seminary is larger than a lot of people think, well it least it seems to be that way for me. But one of the things that has kept me going is the encouragement and support I have received from so many people. Also the kids and adults I've worked with have been a huge support to me. The family I've stayed with in Maryland have provided me with unbelievable hospitality and generosity, and they have just become a family away from family for me.
My dad put it this way in a facebook message to me "I know it's tough being so far from home, but look at it as a test from God to make you sure about reaching your dream. I know it's corny, but sometimes I think it's true."
It is a test, and with God's grace and mercy I think I might pass it. As for my map quiz next monday on the ancient middle east....we'll see...
God Bless!
1 comment:
ahh katie, katie, katie...isn't it funny how that no matter how old we get, when faced with a challenge there is still something so appealing about going home and curling up in your own bed...i still deal with some of those feelings as well...but i am excited for your excitement about the challenge!
Post a Comment