That's just a little lyric from a musical that I have been uberly obsessed with this summer...Mamma Mia! I've seen it three times! And if asked I would probably go see it 4 or 5 times! It's great, you come out of the theater all happy and dancing. Ironically I chose a lyric that is from one of the saddest songs in the movie. The main character Donna, is about to give her daugther away in marriage and she's singing about how she's grown up and moving on with her life. It gets me everytime, I have to skip it on my iPod because it makes me think of my own mother.
I have felt in that stage of moving on for some time. Ever since I graduated from Winthrop. I moved up to Maryland to spend a summer interning, which as I have recapped was a blast! Now I've started school at Wesley in DC. I feel that life is constantly changing, I'm having to become a grownup...gasp! It's a strange feeling.
It's quite overwhelming actually. Over the past few weeks I have prayed to feel God's presence in my life. Now I'm not saying that I ignored God, or that this summer with the kids I didn't learn from him. I just felt that we weren't together, I didn't feel connected.
The first day here I was really struggling to adjust. I feel like I'm one of those people who could bounce up and adjust and adapt to all circumstances...which is good for a youth minister. But I had just driven 4-5 hours, into DC, I was flippin out about traffic and nervous about it all. Then I had to unpack and move in by myself, and there wasn't hardly anyone on the hall. The next day I had one financial thing after another with the school, I had all of this information thrown at me at orientation about what my degree means and what I'll be doing for three years. It was intense and I broke down sobbing. I was so overwhelmed I didn't know how to handle this all. I was already thinking of quitting, or at least transfering closer to home. But I knew I had come too far to give up now. As I was laying down in bed I could feel God's comforting presence letting me know that it will be okay.
I think he used this intense bombardment of emotion, stress, nerves, and information to let me know that this was all going to be alright. I definitely have felt God's presence in calming me down and reassuring me of how much I was supposed to be here.
I spilled all of this out to my "Maryland Mom" the fantastic woman who let me live and eat in her basement, and helped me talk out problems and life with her. She sent me a text message, after I told her how great my classes went, saying "You're meant to be here." I am, more and more I'm certain this is where I need to be.
Classes started yesterday, I had a class on Worship styles, we'll be learning how to lead worship, learn why we do certain things in worship. It looks like it will be lots of fun. We're going to have to visit a few churches while in that class so that will be cool. Then I had Hebrew Bible, which was real neat. We kinda had an intro class, but I learned a lot even then. She is no Peter Judge...but I think I can get over that and learn a lot from her.
I kindly ask those who read this to remember me in your prayers, and also remember the entry level students here at Wesley and the lives that will come into contact with us now and while we are in service at different churches. Thanks!
1 comment:
ahh katie how i love you AND Mama Mia IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! I've only seen it once but oh how it stirred my soul.
i'm glad to hear that your first day of class went so well and I really am so proud of you :) please let me know how i can be praying for you and keep updating the blog...now that i have free time i have become blog-crazy again.
i love you friend,
bac
p.s. can you send me your new address?
Post a Comment