Thursday, November 6, 2008

DC should be fun in the next few months

I was in a ranting/rambling mood, I apologize if this doesn't make sense, I'm not trying to start anything. these are just some personal post election thoughts.



The election is over. I would've thought that it would be a joyous occasion, regardless of who won, because the name calling/slandering/mudslinging would be over...oh no...it may have just gotten stronger. This greatly disappoints me. Here are a few reasons why:

Yes, we have witnessed a great monumental, historical occasion with Obama's election...but regardless of the race of Obama, shouldn't EVERY election be historical?
(don't get me wrong, I supported him with my vote, and am excited that I was able to witness it...well actually i was in the bathroom at the exact time it was announced but that's beside the point)

I was saddened to see countless statuses with "I'm moving to Canada now" or "there's no hope." We don't know how he'll run his office, we don't know how McCain would've run his. these people are making early judgments and not giving him a chance to see what will happen.

Also, this is a democracy, Obama will not single handedly run this country. There are advisors, checks and balances, and other people that work with him, and also there are things that we can have a say in. This point gets forgotten, even with past adminstrations we lose this fact.

My father said to me "I hope you didn't make a mistake voting for him", is that not my American freedom to choose and make mistakes? (i did that last election)I prayed over my vote, over this country and I thought my decision was a fit.

I've heard claims that "I'm scared of Obama" SHOW ME A POLITICIAN YOU AREN'T SCARED OF! I'm tired of this claim. Any politician can be shady, and scary, so to single out this man I beleive is a useless claim.

Someone said that America is going to hell...we've been on that path from day one that columbus hit this country, since we wiped out the native americans, since we took away equalities of other humans, since we started wars, since we've ignored famines and struggles in other countries...i don't think electing this man is the start of any new pattern.

I was excited about this election. For ONCE I was excited that my vote counted. I have hope for this country, regardless of who is in charge. I think not only through the next president that this will happen...but in the HEARTS of the people of this country. the young and old are ready for changes and ready to unite.

That's my red, white and blue soapbox.

I now beseech you who are Christians to pray, for the leaders, for the country and other countries, for us to unite as brothers and sisters to stand up and fight for change. God is bigger than this election, God is bigger than the war, God is bigger us, we must remember that as well.

Call me ignorant or naive, but I think there's great hope for this country, not through this president, but through the people of this nation, and the God of this universe.

No comments: