I LOVE the Christmas season. I wanted to share why I love this season so much!
Decorations:
About at Halloween I was in a Macy's and saw the red gift boxes atop the cosmetic counters, with lights, hollys, and ribbons around the store, and I was ready. In Spartanburg there are lighted Santas, stars, bells, tied to the light posts that have been used at least since I was a baby. I love the use of Christmas lights (actually in my list of ideas to use if i ever get married, christmas lights will be used in decorating). There is just something about Christmas lights that get me excited. My grandfather set up this big tree in his yard with huge christmas lights and had a wooden sleigh, built by a neighbor, with an ugly santa doll figure in it being led by lighted reindeer. Since his passing we've never set it up, but that was one of the beacons of Christmas time approaching.
What better way to prepare for the coming of the light to the world than covering trees, and houses with bright lights?? (thought I'd throw some deep theological mess at ya)
People:
Maybe it's me, but people seem at peace, even when running from store to store to find that last hannah montana doll, or wii. There's a universal (well, except for Jews, and others who don't celebrate) sense of peace, and beauty of the season. I always enjoy going to stores smiling at people in line, talking with cashiers and wishing them holiday blessings. There's something in the air.
Ask a kid what Santa is going to bring them for Christmas, or ask them to tell you the story of baby Jesus is. Feel their excitement for the season.
Snow:
I know it's not a typical South Carolina tradition for Christmas...but ever since I first saw White Christmas and heard Bing croan about seeing snow for Christmas, I've always dreamt of seeing snow on Christmas, even my birthday. I never give up on the hopes of seeing snow...ever...even in July
There is a peace that comes with snow, the world quiets down, rests from school and work. It's peaceful to see everything blanketed in white. and seeing kids sled and build snowmen...even if they are 20 years old and in college.
Gifts
Everyone, in spite of economic woes, heads out to stores to buy their family gift. We get caught up in the commercialism of Christmas, I'll admit. However, seeing the expression on the face of someone who is opening a gift that they have been wanting or needing is priceless. I've always been a fan of giving gifts. I tend to give birthday presents without expecting any in return just because it could brighten someone's day to know that I was thinking about them and wanted to them to know they're special.
My family (the adults) draw names to give one gift to the name that they draw. I'm not sure when this started but it's always been excited to see. Britt and I are exempt because you don't join the name drawing until you're out of school...or grad school. But both of us are eager to jump in on this game because it would be so much easier to find something special for one person, rather than giving people a list of ideas of what we would want. I'm not sharing this to show if this is a good or bad way of giving/receiving gifts, but just to share some of what I find exciting about this time of year.
The Music:
I'm not going to lie...November 4th, I added my Christmas music to my iPod. I know "Katie that's so early" I don't care. It puts me in a good mood and excites me about the impending season. White Christmas, is one of my favorite secular Christmas songs. Santa Baby, Jingle Bells, I love it all (well except Christmas shoes...I'd rather take out my own wisdom tooth than listen to that EVER) Bing Crosby and David Bowie's drummer boy...come on! Classic!!
Mary Did You Know is one of the greatest songs that I love to listen to this time of year...check it out on youtube... I'll post another post about it, it's incredible
Peace and Hope
I think one of the greatest things about the upcoming Christmas season is the surrounding feeling of peace and hope that comes in a baby in a manger. The idea that a (assumed teen) young girl births the savior who will come and be the messiah...wow... (I may have to save this for my Mary Did you Know post)
But there is so much hope, and peace in that child. So much peace and hope seen in the humans. at the end of the year we're setting aside our grudges of the day and year to celebrate what the birth of this child means for humanity. We set up the next year hoping to change how we do things in our lives and in the lives of others. It's an amazing sense.
This is why I start celebrating the season well into early November and have no problems with music on the radio starting before Thanksgiving.
Why take one day of the year to realize the hope that has been brought in a baby, then take another day to recognize the sacrifice and redemption when this baby gives his life so that we may live. Shouldn't we always live in this attitude? 365 days? It's a struggle for some, but what would that attitude of peace and joy of Christmas lasted longer than a few days and throughout the year???
"Maybe I'm a dreamer...but I'm not the only one" -John Lennon
Merry Christmas!
2 comments:
I'm all for celebrating the birth of sweet baby Jesus more than one day a year, but what does "Santa Baby" have to do with it?
Ha, I forgot to follow that up with the funny fact about that's my mom's favorite Christmas tune, it's silly but it's one of those fun family facts that makes me love my family even more...
Thanks for the Ricky Bobby "sweet baby Jesus, in your golden fleece diapers watching baby einstien videos." We watched that clip in class.
Post a Comment