Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hey Look! It's the New Guy!!

Yes I did yell that when I saw Joe Biden's face on the jumbotron.

I witnessed history yesterday. So did millions of people when they saw a Southerner bundled up in three layers of clothes and scarves get her butt out into DC in 20or so degree weather. Joking aside, I went with some friends down to the Washington Monument at 6-7amish to watch our new VP and President get sworn in.

I've had an internal struggle with this. I don't want it to seem like I went just because it was Obama, or just because he is our first African American president. I went because he is our new President. For the record, I have watched Bill Clinton, and both of George's inaugurations. I find it fascinating, and also the History Major in me would have never forgave myself if I didn't go witness an inauguration live.

I wish I could capture the spirit of every person there, put it in a bottle that people could have forever. There was a sense of excitement and joy among people. We were all crammed together all over the Mall but we didn't care. We didn't care that we were cold, that the person in front of us passed gas, or that we couldn't see the screens. We just wanted to be there to witness the history, and the pride of our country.

It was a neat experience, and I wish I was as articulate as Grace and could explain how much fun and exciting it was. There were all kinds of people there. I enjoyed seeing all the important people arrive. It was neat seeing the past presidents, and it broke my heart when some of them weren't given the respect they deserved. I felt bad because yes George W was booed, I didn't join in on that.Yes, their actions and presidential decisions may have been bad for the country, but they're still the leaders of this nation and that's a position that I wouldn't want, and respect them for getting up there and doing it. He was voted by the people, so that should say something there folks. (I also highly respect janitors for cleaning public bathrooms.)

I hope that as we watch this new President, VP, and other leaders stand up and run this country that we don't forget that they too are human. They may not accomplish or deliver all that they have said they would. I would hope that we don't forget that God is the higher authority and we should put our trust in God first to guide this country where God wills.

I also hope that the excitement of what has been accomplished that was felt by the crowds in DC was felt elsewhere in the nation and in the world. A new leader of the nation has been sworn in and with that will come new decisions and new ideas about this country. We may love, like, or hate these ideas that are to come, but I would hope that we would accept them and see how God wills.

I may sound politically ignorant, I've never been one to fully grasp politics and what not, but I will say that I take pride in being neither fully Liberal, fully Conservative, neither democratic or republican. I am just an American Citizen who puts their faith in what God can do for this country.




"Today I say to you that the challenges we face are real. They are serious and they are many. They will not be met easily or in a short span of time. But know this, America: They will be met." President Obama

1 comment:

Katie said...

super jeal that you went yesterday! I was completely obsessed with it all day...kinda made me want to be president. but then i heard what was on his plate today, and had immediate second thoughts :) im right there with you B, i don't have too many deep thoughts on politics, but my opinions are good enough for me. Like God needs barack obama to do his work. psh.