Thursday, September 3, 2009

For Greater things are yet to come, and greater things are still to be done in this city...

**I LOVE this song (title of this post). I can't for the life of me remember where I first heard it. But one of the most influential times was when we were about to embark on our ASP mission trip to Tennessee. As I sang it I kept thinking of Tennessee and what we were about to embark on, and it was beautiful.

When I hear this song I constantly think of DC. I took a sabbath day yesterday. A trick that I learned from my lil sis. She visits a spot that she has made sacred, where she goes to find God and sit in awe of the Spirit. I set off to find such spot before school gets hectic.

After lunch I hopped on the shuttle to the Metro and got off at the Smithsonian. I started off going to the Freer museum, saw a lot of Japanese, Buddhist and Islamic art along with some pretty paintings. I don't get a lot of art but I can appreciate the talents and techniques that go into it. I then hopped to the Smithsonian Art Gallery and found Monet, Manet, and Van Gogh, some of my favorite artists. Then I hopped over to the American History Museum to see Colbert and Julia Child's kitchen...which are in their own way great works of art ;)

There was something beautiful about walking around near empty museums without my iPod, and my phone (save I did talk to Britt for a bit). I just wondered aimlessly without any thing to hold me back. I walked to a few of the monuments and just observed people. I sat at the WWII museum and watched as the sun began to hide behind clouds and call it a day.

It was so relaxing and just overall wonderful. As I was on the metro and came into contact with people I just noticed how hurried and busy they were. Everyone was attached to some device, reading some paper and disinterested in life. I sat and prayed for those on the metro, for those in the museums, for those in power of the city.

In spite of the recession, the politics, and just major things that are going on I still feel that God is bigger than it all. While many are hopeless I feel that God has amazing things in store and will use us to bring them about. I'm an optimist and feel that we'll come out of this rut as we put our trust in God.

"For greater things have yet to come, and greater things are still to be done in this city" ...in this world!

1 comment:

Katie said...

shutup i love that song. you're so rad.