Monday, October 26, 2009

Where do I find God in my ministry?

I'm in a class, and we're required to have online discussions surrounding a certain question. Our question this week was "Where do I find God in my ministry?" This was my response:


There are days when I am too tired to get out of bed and get in my car to drive to my church setting. I have days when I am worried about a paper that I need to be working on. I have days when I feel like it's a waste of time for me to be at this setting. But when I hear my name being yelled as a teen runs across the room to give me a hug, those feelings fly out the door.

I find restoration, excitement and energy in my kids. I also feel that these relationships are a gift and the opportunities I have to be with them and minister to them are a blessing that God has given me.

Every Sunday night I work with the middle schoolers, a group of kids that are so wired and on fire for God. Another adult leader and I get spiritually fed by these kids as we witness how they work with the Bible, how they figure out who God is and how they can tell others. In these moments I see God at work planning big things for their lives.

The excitement within these kids to learn, teach others, and serve in God's name has given me countless moments of joy and hope for the future.

The hug from a youth, the fist pound or secret handshake, a laugh that makes soda come out of someone's nose, this is where I see God.