Wednesday, February 10, 2010

snow Snow SNOW!!!

Hello, remember me? Yeah, I'm that kid who moved to DC. Yep that's me. Wow, I haven't blogged in quite some time...gee.. I missed out on sharing about my excitement for 2010, a countdown of things about the decade I'll miss, and somethings that I'm glad I'll be rid of. I forgot to weigh in on the Leno vs. Coco debate, which I can report has made me very sad. I slept through the Superbowl so there's nothing to really recount there. Well, I apologize for missing out on life.

I have some free time, all of my classes have been cancelled due to SNOVERKILL 2010. I don't know if you've noticed or not, but in the DC area we have had more than 2 feet of snow!! CRAZY! I've NEVER seen this much natural snow before in my life!

I have been the token Southerner running to every window yelling "LOOK Y'ALL I SEE FLURRIES!!" (please imagine me saying that with the thickest southern accent in your head, because that is how it just now sounded in mine)

I have always loved to watch snow. I've also enjoyed driving as it flurries down, not while it is accumlating, but just floating towards me. I've seen so much snow in the past week that when I close my eyes I can see and feel it floating towards my face.

I think my fascination with snow comes from my mother's side of the family. Her mother and grandmother lived in the mountains of North Carolina and loved snow as much as I do. My great grandmother would make us snow treats, and my grandmother would sit in her chair and watch out her giant window as the snow covered the ground. They would make us treats and hot cocoa. This snow has made me nostalgic for them and has made me remember and appreciate their presence in my life.

When Britt and I were little mom would wrap us up in all kinds of warm clothing and we'd spend hours making tiny snowmen outside. The youth I work with here are posting pictures of igloos, and are snowboarding, I've never fathomed seeing this much snow to actually be able to build a snowman that was at least 5 ft tall or building igloos large enough for people to sit inside.

I think one of the beautiful benefits of snow is having the ability to slow down. To decide not to rush into work or to the store. To sit and watch it float and watch the world transform into quietness. Saturday afternoon a bunch of friends and I ventured out to check out the situation. We wanted to venture down Massachusetts Ave, which is a pretty high traffic road. We walked down the middle of the road dodging a few plows and cars, and it was so quiet and calm.

Sometimes in our lives we need those moments where life stops. God calms us down with a blanket of snow so that we can settle and rest and be in awe of the beauty and stillness before us.

Keep warm!

No comments: