A week or so ago I was asked to write a short little introduction for the Church weekly bulletin, and I really didn't know what to write. I sat down at my laptop and stared at the screen for awhile when I came up with this. I just wanted to share with y'all something that God put on my heart to share.
WHO’S IN CONTROL OF YOUR LIFE?
I like being in control. I’m the type of person who will flip to the end of the book to see how it ends. I will beg my friends to tell me how a movie ends just so I can see if it went the way I imagined it would. I like to be in charge of making plans for trips or activities. I like knowing what is going to happen next, uncertainty scared me for a long time.
As a teen, I felt a calling from God to youth ministry. I was excited and ready to serve the Lord and help youth find a relationship with God. I took on youth leadership roles in my church and within my district. I loved the idea of having a career as a youth minister. That was, until my youth minister left our church because of complications with some unhappy parents. It pained me greatly. I had looked up to this man, and saw how his ministry crumbled. I felt that if he couldn’t handle being a youth minister during a time of struggle, I couldn’t handle it, either. The uncertainty of whether or not I could handle something like what he had to go through prevented me from fulfilling my calling.
I told God that I didn’t think this was what He had planned for me (which probably made Him laugh). I changed my career goals and embarked on Plan B. I took control over what my future was going to be. I decided I was going to teach. I enjoyed the classes for awhile, but became more and more miserable and aware that I didn’t want to teach in a school. So I tried to create a Plan C, and even Plan D, but nothing was fulfilling me.
After awhile, I realized that I had left God out of my life. I had not included Him in my decisions. I did not allow Him in my life to take control of the situation. I decided to let Him in, and that I would follow the calling He had given me as a teen.
As soon as this had happened, many doors opened. I literally ran into the religion professor, who helped me change my major. I applied to one seminary, Wesley Theological Seminary, and got accepted. I received a call from the seminary to inform me about an internship program Wesley was offering prospective youth ministers. The next day, I got a call from the chair of admissions there telling me that an internship was available at a church in Olney, Maryland. The next day, Rev. Kevin Baker called me and we discussed Oakdale Emory and its mission goals. I was thrilled. Everything fell into place nicely, and I wasn’t the one who made things happen! God has made it clear that He is in control, that He has taken care of all the plans I will ever need.
The idea of allowing God to control your life can seem terrifying and fill you with uncertainty. However, the gratitude and faith you build in Him as you surrender control will replace any fears and anxieties you may have.
God be with you,Katie Brock
No comments:
Post a Comment