Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Whoa we're half way there, OH we're livin on a prayer!

Yes friends...that is Bon Jovi, and yes, we did have an 80s night so I'm kinda stuck on an 80s music kick! I actually bought "Thriller" "Beat it" and so much more off itunes! It was a blast! But I'll get more into that later!

This summer is going by so fast! I have enjoyed it and have felt so blessed that God has put me here. I've grown really attached to the church, the staff, and especially the youth! Let me brag about them!

One of my "duties" this summer is to help lead the High School Girls, and Middle School D-Teams (Discipleship Team). We work on a cycle schedule so we all take turns. These kids are great! The middle schoolers are so insightful, and open to sharing, which is incredible and something I haven't seen a lot of. It's a mix of boys and girls, and they're great kids. They get rowdy and off topic some, but they always manage to bring things back and focus on God.

The High School girls are great too! We have a blast! They are funny and real. They are all sweet genuine girls. It's always exciting to see what they're up to, and just to have them share how they feel about life and God.

I just ask that y'all pray for the kids in these groups that they can continue to seek God's presence in their lives, and that God will use the leaders, and myself to speak and share with them.

Another thing that I have been working on is the Monday Night activities, "MNL". We've done MNL Kick Off! our kickball and ball game night. The second night was Messy Night. That was pretty gross, there was shaving cream, whipped cream, everywhere. The third one was a Water Night, we set up a huge slip 'n slide for them to play on. Then we did freeze tag with snowless snow balls...flour in pantyhose...GROSS...they got doughy...it was bad. Also, if you have kids with "ammunition" (ie waterguns) forget about trying to speak to them. I turn around to face the crowd and I got an icy shot to the back of the head while speaking...not fun. Last Monday was 80s night! That may have been my favorite! It's always fun to dress up and goof off. I should've done some things differently but the kids had a blast and that's all that matters!

Things have been pretty busy up here. My aunt and uncle came to visit and showed me around DC and where he went to seminary, and we found a cool little chinese restaurant in Chinatown. Joe was in Md and I got to introduce him to Yogiberry. I also have my parents and Britt coming up tomorrow to see me. I got to see Baltimore, we looked for the Charm City Cakes bakery (the Ace of Cakes guy owns it) but we failed. I also got to see Mount Vernon, were George Washington lived. That was fun. I also got to see where he was born, but it was less impressive, the house burnt down so all that was there was an outline of where the house should've been...real bummer.

I've grown attached to Md, especially DC. I LOVE DC!! It's soooo cool!! It has history, power, and just this aura about it. I strongly feel that this is where God wants me to be. It's exciting and I have a sense of everything coming together! Yay!

No comments: