Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Brocks took on DC

My parents and Britt came to visit me up here in Md! It was so good to see them. I got to show them around the church where I'm working, and they got to meet some of the church staff. We spent the first day walking all over to see the monuments. It was real neat. Mom and Dad rode the Metro for the first time, which was fun to see. We also got to eat at Ben's Chili Bowl, that was in a pretty sketch area, but probably one of the best chili dogs I've ever eaten.

The next day we went to the Smithsonian Castle to get info and wait for the Jim Henson exhibit to open up. IT WAS AMAZING...but I couldn't take pictures, and I got fussed at. BUT I got to see some real cool doodles from Jim Henson. I also got to see Rowlf, and Bert and Ernie. It was real cool. We also went to the Natural History museum, which is ok, I'm kinda tired of it. We got to go up to the Washington Monument, which is always fun. We found this cool Museum, the Reynolds art museum. it was sooo cool, but yet another place where I couldn't take pictures. I got to see a lot of cool portraits...I'm pretty sure this is the place where Colbert put his portrait, but it wasn't there anymore. Sad day. They had civil war portrait rooms...it was a bit sad to see all of the confederate portraits pretty small, and then see giant portraits of Grant, McClellan and etc. They also had hiphop portraits an artist made. There was some trippy modern art too, it made me think of all the Winthrop Art kids.

But the coolest thing we saw at that museum, was the Katharine Hepburn exhibit. If you don't know, I'm a HUGE Katharine Hepburn fan, and at this exhibit they had her sweater, posters, a portrait of her. They had 4 of her oscars...I was in the same room as her oscars....cool!!

The last day we went to see the Jefferson Memorial...Dad thought it would be ok if he drove......
nuff said. then we drove up to see Wesley Theological Seminary and got to see where I'll be living and studying. After that we went to the National Cathedral. It was soo beautiful. The art, history, and beauty of it all was great!

We decided to go see DC at night, and just kinda stay on the mall. We had to go to another metro station than I was used to bc of some kinda of maintenance at the other one. It was sketch! There was an intoxicated woman falling out of her top, who accidentally mooned my parents. Then there was a guy who was pooping on the sidewalk in DC.

My mom isn't thrilled with DC, it was hard to tell if she had a good time. But we got to sit and talk just the two of us at the WWII monument. My mom probably paid me one of the highest compliments I have received in a long time.

We were sitting at there talking about all the people I have gone to school with who are already engaged, married, or with child. We got to talking about how all these girls were starting their families and etc. And she told me "Katie, ever since you were a child I knew you were special. You were meant to do big things!" It made me feel special. I had always wondered about whether or not she was fully comfortable with me going into ministry. I knew that my grandfather wasn't a fan of the idea and she had been a bit hesitant with fiving full support, but I think she's excited about it now...well maybe not me living in DC...we'll have to work on that.

1 comment:

Grace McClellan said...

Dang right McClellan got a big portrait! (I have to like him cause he's family. I think he actually wasn't such a hot soldier...I don't remember.)
The National Cathedral is one of my favorite buildings I've ever been in.