Thursday, February 12, 2009

"Well open up your mind and see like me open up your plans and then you're free, look into your heart and you'll find love love love love"

My parents got married today. Well, not today, but a bunch a years back, way before I was born. I always bugged my mom about why I couldn't be at the wedding...she's always been quick to remind me that I wasn't even a gleam in her eye back then.

But as I look at the 2...6?...hold on let me do my math...I was born in '85...they were...I think it's been 26 years...although I could be completely wrong...and there's a very good chance that today isn't their anniversary...

BUT ANYWAYS...
I'm gonna brag a moment here and just say how fun it's been to see my parents grow in their marriage. I've rarely heard my father speak a harsh word to her, and was quick to defend her when Britt or I would. My mother stood by everything my father did whether it was breaking something, or jumping around on stage at a youth rally. I grew up seeing my parents as true partners in love and supporting each other.
They grew up as friends, and still to this day I can see how they can relate to each other as not only husband and wife, but as friends as well. It's been a blessing to live with a model of love that my parents have. Now it's never been picture perfect like the Bradys or the Cleavers, actually it's kinda more like Tim and Jill from Home Improvement, but they are very still much in love.

As I journey as a single woman this model of love that my parents have illustrated is one that I wish to seek. I don't mean in some weird Freudian way that I want to marry someone like my father (no offense to my father) but I'd like to have someone treat me and love me in the same way that I've seen my parents fall in love.

It's difficult to be single, I won't lie. With many of my friends settling down, getting hitched, and popping out babies it's kind of difficult for me to appreciate this time of singleness. I worry about being an old hag at the age of 23 while many are starting families. But then I look at the sacrifices and challenges that many of the students here at Wesley are going through trying to juggle being away from a fiancee who is at home in a country far away, or trying to squeeze a family of four into a two bedroom dorm, I realize that I can't have that life right now. God needs me here, and needs me to be single for the time being.

Now if God wills for there to be a knight on white horse in my future (just an expression, I think I'd be kinda weirded out if there was a guy dressed as a knight (yes I said Kinigit in my head in a monty python way) on a horse...I may call security (and yes I said that in my head as Bonquiqui)) .....where was I...oh yes....wow, I had like three topics in that past topic. ANYWAYS...I need to learn to be patient for God's time, which is a struggle for many. I need to just wait and see what is in store, which is difficult for someone as impatient as myself.

As we enter this festive event of Valentine's day, I want to wish the best for those couples who are in love, I wish the best for those who are single and I want to let everyone know that I love them!

1 comment:

Melody said...

KtB, you are a joy to know.