I sort of get tired of hearing what people are giving up for Lent. I appreciate the concern and thought that they put into it, however, I don't think that not eating that doughnut is going to further my sense of preparation of Lent, or divide me from God. I was raised with the idea at Lent that one should give up something during the 40 days that has caused great separation from that person and God. It allows one to have more concentration on God during these forty days.
For me personally during the forty days I have decided to give up time out of my schedule and read the Bible. You may be thinking "Katie, you're a seminarian, you read the Bible all the time." or you may think that I should be at that place in my life where I should have a strict spiritual discipline and should have that down. But I'll be honest and confess that I do not have it down. I shared this with my uncle (the priest) and he shared that not many pastors do. It takes time to develop such disciplines. Also I have developed a sense of looking at the Bible as more of a text rather than something I can hold spiritually.
So for the next 40 days (and something I hope will last longer) I have decided to take time from my day and focus on one (or half) of a book and just read it with pleasure. Meaning I will read it without thinking what a commentator, or scholar has written about it, without thinking of the audience and the ideas behind the authors minds that wrote it. I have decided to sit in the Word, let God speak to me and just read the Bible for me. Not for class, not to justify something in a paper...just to read and listen.
As a response I pull out two or three passages that stand out and focus on them and journal about them. I put them in my written journal and may share them on my online journal.
___________________________________________________________________________
I want to share two passages that I found. The first is Ephesians 3:8-10
"Although I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given to me to bring to the Gentiles the news of the boundless riches of Christ, and to make everyone see what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God who created all things; so that through the church the wisdom of God in its rich variety might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places."
Ephesians 3:16-19
This passage stuck out as I think of students here and afar who are studying to be ministers, youth ministers, music directors, etc. And not only there, but also with those who seek to spread the word of God anywhere.
We are the least of the saints (NRSV version above, the NIV may something else). In any role in the church we need to remain humble and know what our purpose is.
The next passage that stood out to me was Ephesians 3:16-19:
"I pray that, according to the riches of his glory, he may grant that you may be strengthened in your inner being with power through his Spirit, and that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith, as you are being rooted and grounded in love. I pray that you may have the power to comprehend, with all the saints, what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God"
This is a prayer that I hope to commit to heart. It's one I think of when I think of as I minister to young people.
_________________________________________________________________________________
I'm praying and hoping that this discipline sticks. Last night as I did this I felt a greater sense of centering and quiet in my spirit which I'd like to have stick longer than 40 days.
I encourage y'all to think heavily and spiritually about what (or if) you decide to give up or take on for this lenten season.
Shalom
-Katie
No comments:
Post a Comment